- One of the important things that the confectionary guild is going to do this year is to design an application for the workers in confectioneries. This application would help the workers to be more organized at their workplace.
- Buying wheat from the local farmers with a guaranteed price is one of the biggest concerns that Sistan Baloochestan province is facing these days. It is possible that the government buys 75000 MT of wheat this fiscal year. Regarding this matter, the number of trucks for transportation has been increased and there are actions in process for directly transiting the wheat to the main centers, without storing them in any other depots. There has been also talks on paying the money to the farmers sooner which will happen when the list of the farmers would be given to Keshavarzi Bank (Agri Bank of Iran).
- Farshad Memarian, CEO of Tehran Bakhtar: According to the statistics, 9 to 10 million MT of wheat should be harvested this year in Iran. Although it is important to be self-sufficient regarding the political situation, flour mills and pasta producers need a higher protein content for the flour that they use. Therefore, there should be some wheat imported in order to fill this quality gap.
- Ahmad Sadeghian, Tak Makaron’s chairman of the board: The nutritious content of the pasta has made it to be a staple food in Europe and the per capita consumption is 12 KG in those countries. However this figure in Iran is much less. In Iran the per capita consumption of rice is 40 KG and this is not economically justifiable considering the water consumption for producing rice. More than 50% of Iran’s rice is provided via imports. This trend should be changed, because pasta is a suitable alternative for rice with more variety, less costs and high nutritious value.
- Pour Arshad, CEO of Izeh Flour: In north east of Khoozestan province, most of the wheat farms are not irrigated and they depend on the rainfall. Therefore, they are not suitable for planting wheat every year, it is better to plant oil seeds for two consequent years after one year of planting wheat. So that the soil would stay rich enough. If this happens, the amount of wheat per hectare will increase significantly. However, because of the lack of proper silos for storing oil seeds, farmers prefer to plant wheat. Another factor that the production of wheat in this region is not as high as it should be, is the high price of fertilizers that many farmers could not afford.
- According to the guaranteed price of buying wheat, this price should be announced after the start of the marketing year. There has been talks to increase this price by 10%, however, no results have been seen so far.
Sadegh Ziaian, Head of National Drought Center of Iran: There has been numerous percentages for the agriculture share in water consumption, however 70 to 90 percent is what most experts agree upon. Although the statistics are never definite, the water crisis in Iran is real and there should be some serious changes in water management. We should plant the agricultural products according to the region’s priorities and water resources.